Women Organizing Women, Inc. is a non-profit Christian-based, community-oriented organization that collaborates with partners and non-profit community leaders to provide support, resources and tools that will educate, empower, inspire and assist them in spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ through evangelistic outreach efforts, thereby building and impacting their local communities. The mission of WOW is to provide the tools, training and other resources to nonprofit community leaders who are called to impact the lives of God’s people.The President of the WOW Board of Directors is expected to review and understand the organization's articles of incorporation and by-laws, policies and procedures, financial and legal situation, and strategic plan. As the board ambassador, the President acts as a spokesperson for the organization to the community. She speaks in public on behalf of the organization and advocates for the cause and mission of WOW. By modeling appropriate behavior, the President sets high standards for board conduct and intervenes if conflicts of interest or confidentiality issues arise. The president should also feel comfortable delegating tasks to other board members.
- Working with the board's governance committee, the President recruits new board members whose vision aligns with the organization.
- The President appoints committee chairs and serves ex officio on committees.
- The President is in charge of the Executive Director and board member performance evaluations and succession planning, and plays a crucial role in new board member orientation.
- The President works with the Executive Director to make sure board resolutions are carried out. Together, they set the agendas which are focused on key strategic issues.
- The President is also expected to take the lead in raising funds by making personal contributions and asking board members to do the same.
- President role is to help to organize social functions to raise funds and maintain visibility in the community.
- Bachelor’s degree (Masters preferred)
- 5+ years of experience of demonstrated community leadership and the ability to lead the board in handling difficult issues.
- Strong group dynamic skills are required to keep meetings running smoothly and to deal with any conflicts that may arise.
- Solid, hands-on, budget management skills, and decision-making skills.
- Strong organizational skills including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation.
- Ability to convey the vision and mission of WOW’s strategic future to staff, board, volunteers and donors.
- Knowledge of fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to the nonprofit sector.
- Strong written and oral communication skills including public speaking.
Western Division Board President
Ida is a native of Arkansas, and the wife of Marvin Bell, (42 yrs) a mother of four with four grandchildren. She has been a member of The View Church for 12 years, and currently holds the position of Co-chairman of the Board of Directors. Prior, she held the position of Corporate secretary for three years. She was a Chartered member of True Fellowship Baptist Church in Los Angeles California where she held the position of Chief Financial Officer for 36 years.
She attended Oklahoma Christian University in Oklahoma City Oklahoma where she majored in psychology with a minor in sociology and biblical teaching. Ida has been a member of Bible Study Fellowship an international and-international.
Bible study for the past 25 years where she has had the privilege of teaching God's word, training leaders, leading group members and shepherding.
Ida loves to cook, bake, preserve different foods, entertain, decorate her home and care for those in need. But most importantly she loves the Lord and her goal is to become more like Jesus as she journeys through this life.
Get to know a little more about Ida as she shares her thoughts on WOW and how we can be better citizens in God's Kingdom here:
Western Division SecretaryCEO and founder of Free Spirit Financial and Once Upon a Lullaby, Teresa Phelps is a certified life coach who created each company with a vision of providing support, education, and encouragement for parents to help build strong, healthy families.
When she's not coaching families, you can find her reading her Bible (and other self development books), indoor rock climbing, or spending time with her husband and three kids.